Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grannie

Thursday, May 21st was the day for Grannie's funeral. I thought the service was exceptional, and Mom and Uncle Joe did a great job planning. Thanks, MOM! You served all of us well! We sang "My Faith Looks Up to Thee" and "God Will Take Care of You" which I just loved. I wish I could sing some more hymns with Grannie!

Mom and many others spoke about the ways that Grannie had served them. It reminded us all of the wonderful example of serving others she was. She worked tirelessly, not regarding her own physical limitations, but just continuing to do as much as she could. I think the Lord honored her disregard for her own well-being and her unselfish service by keeping her body relatively healthy...for 97 years. It seems to me, if we are focused on serving Him by serving others, we need not worry about overdoing it. Why do I need to worry about my body if God Himself is watching over every hair? Of course, humility means we recognize that we need a decent amount of sleep, need to eat healthily, etc, which she did, but she didn't stop serving because she was afraid of "doing too much" and she rarely, if ever, said, "I'm just too tired." I think she just had such a desire to serve others and love for the Lord that her tiredness was not even comparable to those other desires. She was a great person, and I hope to be like her in many ways!

Her body was layed to rest at the Bosqueville Cemetery, where many of my maternal relatives are buried, including great- and great-great-grandparents and many great-aunts and uncles and many more relatives that I should know but don't!
Here are some pictures for me to remember the day.

Uncle Joe and me


My sweet-as-can-be Abbie (I would say my only niece, but not anymore! My second sweet baby niece is due early August!)


Daniel was so good for the funeral, and started to get a little wiggly during the graveside, so we eventually let him loose and he entertained himself by climbing on the mound of dirt. I know my Grannie would not have minded in the least!



This is the gravestone for my great-great-great grandparents - my mother's mother's father's mother's father and mother.


Here is the gravemarker for my Grandpap's parents, my great-great-grandparents. Notice the inscription on the stone: "They kept the faith."


This is the marker for my great-grandparents, Grannie's mother and father, Grandma and Grandpap. I was a baby when Grandpap died, and was present at the funeral though I don't remember. (Mom - If I'm wrong, please set me straight!). I do remember my Grandma, as we would go visit her with Grannie when I was young. Her name was Julia Anna, and I am named after her.


All the cousins (minus my niece who has yet to make her appearance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment