Thursday, June 4, 2009

Peeps

Our dear neighbors found a tiny baby bird a couple of weeks ago. She fell out of the nest in their gutter, and the rest of her siblings didn't make it, but she survived. The Malarchers adopted her and researched what to feed her. We helped them feed her on days they had to be gone for an extended time. She would chirp every 15 to 30 minutes, and then we would give her a few drops of food, which resembled liquid dog food.




It has been fun to watch her grow. Jieun taught her how to fly, and last Saturday she flew onto our deck. It was so fun to watch her sit there, fluttering her wings but staying still, waiting expectantly for some food.





...Until Genny discovered her! Then we panicked! Genny pounced at her several times, while the kids (and I, I must admit) yelled at her to stop! Thankfully, Genny backed off.

We picked up Peeps and I attempted to carry her through the house to the safer front yard. She wiggled out of my hand while I was halfway through the house, and we all enjoyed watching her fly around the house for a few minutes (thankfully, she hadn't just eaten, if you know what I mean!).


I picked her up and put her out front.


Then, when I tried to go back in the house, she flew up and landed on me and wouldn't let go. It's very funny to have a real, wild bird clinging to you like you are her mother!



David came out with me and he enabled me to go back in by keeping her occupied for a little while. Kris found a worm from our compost pile and gave it to Peeps, and Peeps was a bit confused, but not for long. She quickly learned to keep it in her beak, and then swallowed, and swallowed, and swallowed, until the entire, whole, live worm was inside...except for a tiny part that still stuck out of her mouth. It is quite an education for us! David was quite concerned about the worm still sticking out, but she must have been successful digesting it, because she's still flying around our yard.







We have seen her every day this week. How do we know it's Peeps? She stood at the front door this afternoon, chirping. When I opened the door, she stayed, chirping, and ate some dog food pieces from my hand. I'm pretty sure that it was Peeps!

2 comments:

  1. This is the coolest thing ever!!! How neat for your kid to get to experience this...and you too! What a fun thing to go through together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mrs. Pate,
    Thank you for your comment on blog and also for your prayers as I went through surgery. It's always a blessing to know people are praying...thank you!

    Blessings to you!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete