Saturday, March 14, 2009

Government Thoughts

Our time in Tyler this weekend was great, even thought sweet Daniel was sick. His stomach virus provided me a cherished opportunity to visit extra long with my Dad, which I enjoy so much. He played a video for me about governments, which I thought to be excellent. It was a concise summary of the types of rule and historical patterns of rising and falling governments with emphasis on the American form of government. Considering that I am just as much in need of a solid classical education as my children, I was glad to have this 10-minute education! Here is the much-recommended link: The American Form of Government Video.

After watching the video, I found myself frustrated that we have so many politicians writing legislation who are subject to re-election by the voting masses - by the uneducated; by people with no understanding of basic economics; by people who are driven by moral "agendas"; by the folks who have no idea what is in the best interest of the country, nor do they care, but only think of their own selfish cravings. Then Kris and Dad reminded me that universal suffrage does not date back to the signing of the Constitution. At that time, only the land-owners could vote. Call me what you like, but I really see the wisdom in this! In the best interests of the nation, I can understand why one wouldn't give the right to vote to everybody who breaths and is over 17. I think our nation has crept way too close to becoming a democracy - dangerously, irreversibly close, if this video clip is accurate.
How thankful I am to know the One who rules over the rise and fall of nations and who holds the times in His hand. Nothing to fear, though the earth give way!

1 comment:

  1. HI Julie!
    Love your blog!! The colors are awesome. I'm adding you to my blog list. Is that Ok?

    ReplyDelete