Thursday, March 5, 2009

Security

We have several friends who have recently come into difficult straits with this economy. Hard decisions. Stress. Uncertainty about the future. What a reminder to us that we are not our own! Kris' job is such a blessing, but it is not guaranteed.

But wait a minute. Something much, much better is guaranteed. We have a 100% security of having God be for us. Romans 8:31 "If God is for us, who can be against us?" He didn't spare His own Son so that He could save us. He is for us. We know that He will be near us in trouble.

Jesus told us that in this world we would have trouble. We should expect it in some shape or form until we meet Him face to face. But we are afraid of it.

What should we be afraid of? Running out of money? Living in a homeless shelter? Eating beans for dinner every night? Having to rely on someone else's generosity to eat? Not having money for our children's education? Wearing ragged clothing? NO! These things are NOT what we should fear.

He promises, PROMISES, that when we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us. He will help us. He will rescue us. He will satisfy us.

Psalm 91:15-16
When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.

I Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.

The face of the Lord is against those who do evil. What does He regard as evil? Hebrews 3:12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.

In this verse, evil is unbelief - not trusting God that He will do what He says. That is what we should be afraid of: unbelief! "I believe; help my unbelief!"

So, my prayer is that I will not find my security in the fact that Kris' job looks stable this week. (That could oh so quickly change.) My only security is in Christ Jesus my Lord, who gave Himself up for me. "How will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" I want Him to find in me a believing heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment