Thursday, December 17, 2009

Our first day of classes – Cambodia Day 5

Today, Monday, was our first day of actually teaching classes. I began at 8am with my first English class. Allyson finished up the curriculum that Jennifer had given her, so I was on my own to come up with something. I had Anna's Black Beauty workbook with us that she needs to finish for second grade at Coram Deo Academy, so I decided I would just use that. The first class went well from what I could tell. The students are so gracious, they would probably never correct me or tell me it wasn't good. They are so nice and so eager to learn!

The second class I taught from 9:30 to 11am. We read through The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and discussed each sentence. It is really quite fun. Anna and David sat with me in the first class, and Kris came and walked David home afterward, while Anna stayed with me. I enjoyed having her there. She can sit and draw pictures for hours!

After lunch, it was Kris' turn to teach the computer class. He taught about the internet, email and web, but he thought it might have gone over their heads since a lot of them barely know how to turn on the computer.

In the evening I began teaching hygiene classes to the children that come for English classes from 5-6 and from 6-7. I plan to rotate through all the classes, 16 in all, two times. First to teach about mainly germs and handwashing, and then to teach about teeth brushing and nutrition, if there's time. My aim is to clearly share the gospel in each class, as very few of these children are from church families.

No comments:

Post a Comment