Sunday, December 20, 2009

The rest of the week...

Monday afternoon, Kris headed over to the Hales house to mow their grass, which had not grown stupendously high since their departure a month ago, but it still definitely needed cutting. In the process, he went to retrieve something from their house and while trying by trial and error to find the correct key, got an incorrect key stuck in the door. This was quite frustrating, especially since they were due to return on the 16th, and this was the day before the ladies from the PATC were planning to come in to clean for them. Not wanting to break the key off and thus have a bigger problem, Kris left it there. But the next day, some of the students did indeed break off the key. Chheng wasn’t the least bit worried however. He said he knew tricks…ways to break in! With a big smile, he took Kris and Anna back to the house and worked his magic (I’m not about to tell you his secrets!). Whew! We were glad! Anna and Kris helped the others clean everything up. Tuesday evening I taught two more classes about handwashing and germs. I have been trying to give a clear gospel presentation in each class, mainly focusing on the fact that when our hands are dirty, we can get the germs off by simply washing with soap and water; but we have a much bigger problem: our hearts are dirty because of our sin, and we can do nothing to wash them clean. I go on to explain much more. Please pray that the Lord would open up the eyes of their hearts and help them to see their need, His grace, and long for Him to wash them and bring them into His kingdom.

Wednesday morning, Kris rode over to the church with Chheng for the 6am prayer meeting. He enjoyed it, although it was all in Khmer. It was a relatively calm day. Chheng and Sophorn have a special little nephew that they call their grandson, named Ho (pronounce “who”), and mid-morning, Chheng swung him on the hammock for his naptime while he sat and read his Bible for about an hour. They are so sweet to this little one! He is like a hobby to them. When they have leisure time, they hop in the car and go get him and bring him home for a few hours. They love to talk to him, as he is a vocal little 16-month-old – and so smart too – and they feed him and hold him and just watch him.



Wednesday evening I went to teach my classes again, but Savud, my translator, told me (so I thought) that he was too busy and that he could only translate for one class, so I should return at 6pm. Not a problem, I thought; I can be flexible! When I returned at 6, he asked me why I left. Ha! I totally misunderstood him, and the whole time I walked away from the church towards Chheng’s house (with Anna and David beside) he was wondering why in the world we were leaving! He was too respectful to question me about it though. So I was one class behind schedule, but it worked out fine because Thursday evening I ended up teaching 3 of the classes, 2 of them combined, so now we’re back on track.

This is one of my classes, waiting to hear about germs. Savud, my translator, is on the left in the red shirt. He is the PATC student coordinator in charge of all the children's English classes in the evening. This is his second year at the PATC, and he says he hopes to become a pastor when he is finished, as the Lord wills and gifts him. Would you pray for him, that the Lord would fill Him with His spirit of knowledge and love and that he would become a gifted pastor and teacher? Cambodia so needs the leadership of godly men to carry on work like the PATC and Church of Mercy in the decades to come.

Another picture before a hygiene class. Do you see the glitter and bowl on the table? I use these to demonstrate hand washing and germs. It's fun!) The young man behind David is Saveed, and he is a third year student at PATC.

The Hales drove up to the Nuon’s house around 1:30 on Thursday, and we were so happy to see them! Kris was at the school teaching, so it was just me and Sophorn and the children. But it was a joyful homecoming, and it was so sweet holding tiny Isaac. He is precious, and I’m so glad I get to be around him in the next few weeks! Katherine is a beautiful little girl with her soft, long blonde hair and bright eyes, and all my kids were instantly interested in engaging her. We tried to help Bill and Jenn get settled as much as we could, mainly doing a little laundry and keeping them company. They are so welcoming and seem so genuinely glad for us to be there. That was really encouraging.

Friday we spent the morning at the church and at the Hales, doing odds and ends, and Kris and Bill headed off to visit some church members just before lunch. He and Bill and Anna took the motorcycle to the market that afternoon and purchased a few items like soap and laundry detergent and a mattress. Then they headed home together on the motorcycle with all their stuff, in true Khmer fashion. I’m not kidding. I so wish I had a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment